Pastry Chef Catherine Adonis shared this Cinnamon Bun recipe to celebrate World Baking Day. These delicious buns go well with a hot cup of coffee in the morning – or anytime you feel like a treat!
For the Dough:
600g cake flour
20g yeast (instant)
40g white sugar
200g lukewarm water
60g soft butter
For the Filling:
150g soft butter
200g dark brown sugar
5g ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
100g white sugar
- Place all the ingredients for the dough, excluding the butter, into a kitchen mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Mix on a low speed until a dough develops, then add the soft butter.
- Mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth and comes away from the side of the bowl, this should take 5-7 minutes.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl. Place the bowl in a warm place covered with a dish cloth, to proof for 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
- While the dough is proofing, prepare the filling.
- Beat the butter, sugar and cinnamon together until smooth and fluffy.
- Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into an even rectangle, 5mm thick.
- Spread the cinnamon filling onto two thirds of the dough (as per picture below).
- Fold the dough into thirds, starting from the side with no filling.
- You will now have one long rectangle with the filling on the inside.
- Cut the dough into 1.5 cm strips and shape into knots, or snail shapes.
- Place your shaped dough onto a greased baking tray and proof for 1 hour.
- Bake at 180˚C for 12-15 minutes. Buns should be golden brown.
- While the buns are baking, prepare the glaze.
- Heat the milk and sugar for the glaze in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Brush the buns generously with glaze while both the buns and the glaze are hot.
Enjoy your delicious, freshly baked Cinnamon Buns with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.