This delicious Citrus Shortbread recipe was shared by Saxon Pastry Chef Catherine Adonis. Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit, and unlike many other cookies and baked goods, it does not contain any leavening, such as baking powder or baking soda.
125g Icing sugar
2 tsp Vanilla essence
250g Cake flour
125g Corn flour
1 tsp Baking powder
30g Poppy seeds
The zest of 1 orange
The zest of 1 lemon
Castor sugar for dusting
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment: beat the butter, sugar, zest and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and add to the bowl. Mix slowly until combined to form a soft dough. Mix for no longer than 1 minute.
- Line a 30x20cm greased baking tin with baking paper.
- Press the dough into the baking tray. Flatten down evenly with the palm of your hand.
- Prick the flattened dough all over with a fork. (Pricking releases air from the dough so that it bakes flat.)
- Bake at 150˚C for 30-40 minutes. The shortbread should be golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 3×3 cm squares with a small knife while hot.
- Dust with castor sugar, allow to cool and enjoy.