Pastry Chef, Catherine Adonis, shared this classic Focaccia Recipe – this bread is a fantastic starter during the cold winter months. You can be creative with the toppings – find what works best for you.
For the Dough:
500g cake flour
10g dried yeast
50g olive oil
For the Toppings:
100g olive oil
a selection of vegetables: tomatoes and onions
coarse sea salt
- Place all the ingredients in a stand mixer fit with a paddle.
- Beat the dough until smooth and elastic, this should take about 10 mins.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with a dish towel.
- Set aside and allow to rise for an hour.
- Gently fold back the dough and allow to rise for another hour, the dough should double in size.
- In a large oven tray pour half of the olive oil, add the dough, pressing the dough down with your fingertips to cover the base of the tray.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the bread with garlic and rosemary, add your desired toppings.
- Drizzle generously with the remainder of the olive oil and top with freshly cracked sea salt.
- Bake at 220˚C for 20-25 mins.
- The bread should be crispy and golden brown.
This dough is quite wet, that is what gives this bread its unique texture.
Any toppings can be used – a selection of vegetables, olives, feta cheese, seeds or nuts – be creative!